Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day 13: Me and 13 Objects.







This was not an easy challenge, but late in the day, I found just the thing:  My dad's American Legion cap from Gilbert C. Grafton Post #2 in Fargo, ND.  There are 12 little brass-colored tin attachments and one cap = 13 objects.  He got the attachments for his efforts in enrolling new members from 1955 through 1961.

The little figures represent special awards. Starting at the left, the little tin artillery gun says he was  "Gleason Gunner" for membership in 1958. Next to that, the little ship's wheel, "Burke Bo'sun" in 1961. The cloth patch names him a "Go Getter."  Next, "Moore Missileer" in 1959. At the very right end, he was awarded the "1960 Membership Spur."

It's hard for me to think of my dad as active in any sort of club, but he certainly was--after we had all left home (I was the last to depart, in 1954).  The only time in my childhood years when he was never home when he wasn't working was on Saturday. (Occasionally, after Gene left home, he bowled during the week for his NW Bell Telephone league, and he'd take me along and park me at the bar with a bottle of 7Up.)  Early Saturday morning, he'd be off hunting or fishing. He provided most of the meat we ate during the war years.  My mom's baked chicken was a treat. On Sunday, he went to church, and after a big Sunday dinner, he'd read the newspaper, then turn on the opera on the radio, lie down on the sofa in the living room, spread the newspapers over himself, and take a nap.

When I was about 10, we got our lake cottage, and he added golfing to his activities.  He was an athlete all his life.  I have a little trophy he won from the N.W.B.T. Golf Club in 1932.  It even has his name on it:  F. T. Dwyer.

My first day in first grade, we got to buy savings stamps for the war effort.  I plopped my quarter down with great pride, but when they asked me my father's name, I was stumped! (Hey, I was 5 years old!)  "Um....I dunno...(much thought)..I know! It starts with F!  Fryer!!"  He always signed his letters, "Your loving father, F. T. Dwyer."

No comments:

Post a Comment